Summertime is here, and I loves-me some good lemonade on a hot summer day, but occasionally I tire of the same ol’ lemonade recipe all the time and need a bit of variety. I am a big fan of making Adagio’s Fruit Medley tea iced — it tastes just like Kool-Aid, but is all natural with only the natural sugar that exists in the fruit — but this post is not about that alternative. It is about another alternative to lemonade that I only recently discovered: orangeade. Fundamentally, it is the same as lemonade, but with a different fruit:
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (~3-4 oranges)
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- In a large pot over medium heat, dissolve one cup of sugar into one cup of water. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved, creating a simple syrup. Turn heat to low.
- Add 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice and lemon juice to the simple syrup. Stir.
- Add 3 cups water. Remove from heat and stir.
- Pour Orangeade into a serving container and keep refrigerated. Serve cold over ice.