I have not posted to LiveJournal in a while. Ordinarily, this would be nothing to write home about, but in this particular instance, the reason is a little important. You see, Kate and I had an addition to our family several days ago. Or maybe *I* had an addition to our family. Our home had a new arrival. It is sometimes known as “the cookie sheet.” It is 17 inches of pure pleasure and fun (but it does not vibrate). Some would consider it a phallic symbol in the same way an SUV is. It is my new laptop, Fibonacci (keeping in line with the naming scheme of the rest of my systems–mathematicians and physicists).
– It kicks ass
– The screen is HUUUUUUUUGE
– Having keys that light up in the dark is a cool concept, but so far completely underutilized
– The new Matrix trailer kicks some major ass
– Watching DVDs in the correct aspect ratio is nifty
– With a body this big, the keyboard–a standard full size Apple keyboard–appears microscopic
– It is really funny to run VirtualPC in full screen, extra-wide, mode because people start to say, “Hey, that's that new Apple Ma–wait. Is that running Windows?”
– Not having a right mouse button really doesn't matter if the programs are designed well
– In the Taco Bell dog voice: I theeeeenk I neeeed a beeeeeeeeger baaaaag. My gigantic laptop backpack now seems small, and very dangerously won't close.
– MMMMmmmmmm…. Unixy goodness
– I thought I would hate the Apple mail application, but it is actually quite cool. The PGPMail plugin works even better than the PGPPine plugin I was using. Checking and sending mail can be quite secure, if you have your mail server set up properly.
– I can do all my work on here because the Java and C support is rather nifty
I think I may have to update my user icon to reflect the laptop change.