iPhone 1.1.3 Jailbreak, Attempt 2

It turns out that the 1.1.3 jailbreak instructions from iPhone Atlas is pretty much the best 1.1.3 instructions I have seen around.

I’m finishing the final step of the jailbreak right now, after a bit of difficulty. It turns out the difficulty (as well as the problem I experienced earlier with Nate True’s method) wasn’t something I was doing wrong. It’s because *.nyud.net (Coral Cache) doesn’t work on the office network, and the iPhone haxorz, in an effort to save bandwidth, are hosting a few of the packages over there. The soft-update package from the other day didn’t show up because of this. The OpenSSH package today didn’t show up because of this, either. I ended up having to install the VT-100 terminal, then use a little sed magic and regular expressions to remove Coral Cache from the URLs. Things as slower, but things are now actually possible.

EDIT: It mostly worked, except the cellular service was dead. I had to follow these instructions then resync with iTunes to turn it back on again: http://guides.macrumors.com/Jailbreaking_and_updating_to_1.1.3#Post-jailbreaking_-_Restoring_your_phone_service_in_1.1.3

Posted in: Dear Diary iPhone

2 thoughts on “iPhone 1.1.3 Jailbreak, Attempt 2”

  1. Yes, Google location works. A few 3rd party apps don’t work–specifically weDict and iFlix. I think either some apps or some install scripts need to be updated. I was able to “chmod +x” a fix to iFlix, but am less sure how weDict is broken. I also found out that I ran out of space on my / partition, which caused lots of things to silently fail. I had to use the symlink hack (from /private/var/mobile/Applications to /Widgets) and then manually moved some apps in order to make space. http://www.tuaw.com/2007/10/29/iphone-hacks-running-out-of-application-space-on-your-iphone-or/

    I started with the “leaked” jailbreak but couldn’t get it to work. This is with the official team version, following the iPhone Atlas instructions (with the Mac Rumors Guide tweak for lockdownd at the end to fix the lack of cellular.) I upgraded to the official 1.1.3 so that the baseband gets upgraded (absolutely required for Google location), then downgraded to 1.1.1, jailbroke it, upgraded to jailbroken 1.1.2, then to the jailbroken 1.1.3.

    The whole thing was almost more work than it’s worth. When the official SDK and official apps arrive, I’ll have to re-evaluate if my needs are met with a stock 1.1.3 and official apps.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *