My first attempt at the iPhone 1.1.3 jailbreak: FAIL.
I previously installed 1.1.3 in preparation for the jailbreak. In the murmurings before the jailbreak was released, I had heard that you need the official 1.1.3 upgrade to get the correct baseband firmware for the cellular modem chip to work with the Google maps “locate me” feature. You then downgrade to 1.1.1, then upgrade to a jailbroken 1.1.3. In theory, it was pretty easy.
In practice, it was a bit more involved. First, I had to downgrade to 1.1.1. This can’t be done with the latest iTunes (7.6), so I had to use some switcharoo framework magic and get a very specific version of iPHUC to make everything play well. After some trial and error, I got 1.1.1 installed, but was unable to activate it through official channels. I then had to use some hackery to make the phone think it was activated. By “some hackery” I mean stuff like this:
Slide to make an emergency call, enter *#307# press call, now use the back button on the top of your screen to remove *#307#, now enter 0 , press call, press answer, press hold, press decline. And you get to the contact list. And thereafter every time you push the homebutton you just slide the “emergency call” slide, then enter 0 , press call, press hold, press decline.
I mean, what? From there, things were much easier and involved getting the 1.1.3 jailbreaker, running it, and waiting. It downloaded the official 1.1.3 firmware, patched it, and uploaded it to the phone. It then prompted me to launch Installer.app and run the “1.1.3 soft update.” Unfortunately, it wasn’t there. The FAQ said I needed to update the community sources, then refresh the source list, and it will magically show up. The FAQ is wrong.
Since this was pretty much a dead end, I rebooted to restore mode (power+home for 15 seconds, then release power, keeping home held down) and restored to 1.1.3.
I just hope that when Apple says they’ll open the SDK to all 3rd party developers, they really do mean it, without any gotchas, caveats, or technicalities.
4 thoughts on “iPhone 1.1.3 Jailbreak, Attempt 1”
Heh, I did this too. The whol *#307# thing….crazy!
The final step worked for me ok, ast the 1.1.3 soft update did indeed show up in Installer for me. Did you install Community Sources first?
Then, after that, I needed to install the Baseband downgrader, which wasn’t documented specifically anywhere that I found it. I basically felt my way around trying various things until something worked.
It all works for me, except for the GoogleMaps pseudo GPS locater. But I’ve got Navizon, so that works just the same.
But yeah. What a royal PIA this was.
Yep, I updated the Installer, installed community sources, then refreshed sources multiple times. Still no soft update. I think I’ll just stick with the stock 1.1.3 firmware for now. I pretty much got to the point where the only non-Apple apps I was using were Solitaire and VNsea. Not having those will be a minor annoyance, but not worth the trouble of trying to figure out an alternative.
Aaannnd yeah, I’ll still hold off on that 1.1.3 update. Though I should get around to trying the 112 jailbreak. I think I’ll have to do the 307 trick, but if it does not work with the latest iTunes I might just give up. It still seems new and such so I’m not feeling the need to add functionality. I still have not found a guide for jailbreaking a 112 OTB on a Mac with no intention of unlocking the SIM. With a month till everything changes again, it seems almost like wasted effort.
Potential installer source, if you wanted to take another wack at it, but it seems like the 1.1.3 JB packages are still in flux and have bugs.