Unconscious sexism in the workplace

At work, we have a white­board in the kitchen. Previously, it was used for kitchen requests. Are we run­ning low on some­thing? Write it on the white­board. More recently, those sorts of requests seem to be auto­mat­i­cally taken care of by lit­tle cob­blers’ elves that inven­tory the kitchen stocks and auto­mat­i­cally order sup­plies. The white­board, con­se­quently, … Continue read­ing Unconscious sex­ism in the work­place

My work, on display at NAB

It’s not unusual for a prod­uct or ser­vice that I played some small part in design­ing and build­ing to appear at an indus­try trade show, whether that’s CES or NAB or whathaveyou. But this year, a device in which I was a lot more inte­gral in the hands-on design and man­u­fac­ture appeared. I not only designed a highly vis­i­ble part, but also 3D printed … Continue read­ing My work, on dis­play at NAB

Digital Note-Taking

I’ve been using a cou­ple of dif­fer­ent sys­tems for note-taking over the past sev­eral years. Last month, I had meant to point a friend/coworker to a blog post describ­ing my setup. (Hi, Dunx!) He had been using Evernote which, to put it mildly, pooped its pants, delet­ing much of his con­tent. [Spoiler: he man­aged to save him­self by unplug­ging … Continue read­ing Digital Note-Taking

On 3D Printing Lego Robot Accessories

This past week, the engi­neer­ing depart­ment of my com­pany (Elemental Technologies — we’re hir­ing engi­neers, by the way) had our annual off-site. This year we did some­thing a lit­tle dif­fer­ent and had a Lego com­pe­ti­tion. The pre­vi­ous week, we were given time with the Lego Mindstorms kits to get famil­iar with the com­po­nents and pro­gram­ming lan­guage. The exact nature … Continue read­ing On 3D Printing Lego Robot Accessories

ssh for Programmers

Overview Way back when, just after the dot-com-bomb, I found myself work­ing for a media com­pany named Metapa. We made mp3s and 30 sec­ond pre­view clips from boxes of CDs that tech-clueless record com­pa­nies snail-mailed us. Metapa was staffed with a ton of Unix-heads and I received a great school­ing in the ways of the Secure Shell, ssh. You could not … Continue read­ing ssh for Programmers

Windows Natural Scrolling and Synergy

Windows Natural Scrolling and Synergy A lit­tle over a year ago, I wrote about set­ting up “nat­ural scolling” on Windows. I tried it for a week or so and never quite got used to it. One of the biggest set­backs was the soft­ware I use to con­nect my Windows and Linux boxes together as one large desk­top: Synergy. My mouse … Continue read­ing Windows Natural Scrolling and Synergy

Rock, Scissors, Fire

It seems like all engi­neers like to name things in clever ways along a com­mon theme.  Most often, this man­i­fests itself in the names of com­put­ers.  All of the servers in a given server room or indi­vid­ual rack might get named after Simpsons char­ac­ters, the seven dwarves, the seven deadly sins, the nine greek muses, the nine … Continue read­ing Rock, Scissors, Fire