Communing with the devil on an Apple ][

In the week lead­ing up to hal­loween, @destroyed4com4t intro­duced me to the amaz­ing movie Evilspeak. This film, made in 1981, is about an out­cast boy in mil­i­tary school who comes across a book. This book — the diary of a Spanish satanist (Esteban) from cen­turies before — is writ­ten in Latin. It is also, of course, evil. The … Continue read­ing Communing with the devil on an Apple ][

Paper Towel, Please”

A cou­ple of weeks ago, a funny image of prank paper towel dis­penser stick­ers made the rounds on Twitter. I searched the inter­net for those stick­ers, but couldn’t find any. Because I couldn’t find them, I did the next best thing: ordered cus­tom stick­ers from Sticker Mule. I drafted up some­thing sim­i­lar in Illustrator using their tem­plate. I think it turned … Continue read­ing Paper Towel, Please”

Counting Stairs

We went through some office space reshuf­fling at work that resulted in me being a few floors away from the kitchen. Because of this, I’ve made a con­scious effort to take the stairs more often. I know that my phone has auto­matic count­ing of flights of stairs (if you have an iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6s, or 6s … Continue read­ing Counting Stairs

Unconscious sexism in the workplace

At work, we have a white­board in the kitchen. Previously, it was used for kitchen requests. Are we run­ning low on some­thing? Write it on the white­board. More recently, those sorts of requests seem to be auto­mat­i­cally taken care of by lit­tle cob­blers’ elves that inven­tory the kitchen stocks and auto­mat­i­cally order sup­plies. The white­board, con­se­quently, … Continue read­ing Unconscious sex­ism in the work­place

IPFS: The InterPlanetary File System

The InterPlanetary File System (IPFS) is a new Open Source project whose main goal is to turn the web into a dis­trib­uted sys­tem — one that is not reliant on any one server or path. I’ve played around with it a bit this past week and would like to share my find­ings. My goal is to make this … Continue read­ing IPFS: The InterPlanetary File System

On distraction-free writing with the iPad Air 2

The lap­top is in the shop (bad video chipset, SD card slot that fries cards, and they vol­un­teered that the bat­tery is sub­par for its age). This has given me (nay, forced upon me) the oppor­tu­nity to do a lot more with the iPad and key­board. The iPad is cer­tainly lighter than the lap­top, but the key­board adds … Continue read­ing On distraction-free writ­ing with the iPad Air 2

Dear Wired: please don’t assume I am a man, or large

I recently agreed to a new rule in the house: with a few excep­tions, such as smartphone-as-alarm-clock, no gad­gets in the bed­room. I’ve always thought that the bed­room should be for sleep­ing, plus one other thing, but have slowly been slip­ping — so grad­u­ally that I didn’t notice. Twitter, tex­ting, and gen­er­ally inter­act­ing remotely with peo­ple not phys­i­cally … Continue read­ing Dear Wired: please don’t assume I am a man, or large

A minor Soylent update

In my last blog post, I talked about my exper­i­ments with Soylent. I’ve updated that blog post with a few minor cor­rec­tions. Although my research showed me the cor­rect scoop size for mak­ing single-servings of Soylent, it failed to reveal that the single-serving size is only about half a meal, calorie-wise: The offi­cial scoop, which came with my … Continue read­ing A minor Soylent update

An experiment with Soylent

Soylent has been on my radar for about a year. For those not in the know, it is a meal in pow­der form, to be mixed into a shake. It’s not peo­ple, nor is it soy. It’s more like a break­fast shake, but not focused on weight loss. It is, instead, focused on giv­ing you the exact calo­ries, vit­a­mins, min­er­als, … Continue read­ing An exper­i­ment with Soylent

Shaving with a Hammam bowl

I’ve writ­ten in the past about my old-timey (pos­si­bly hip­ster) shav­ing setup. I use shav­ing soap, a brush to apply it, and some com­bi­na­tion of safety razor (which takes those cheap unsafe double-edged razor blades) and car­tridge razor (which uses those over­priced dis­pos­able plas­tic multi-blade car­tridges). I like to fin­ish up my shave with a splash of cold … Continue read­ing Shaving with a Hammam bowl